Sunday 7 February 2010

The Inner Sanctum

Few people get to see The Inner Sanctum. Even those of my friends who know I collect Lego have rarely gained admittance to this holy of holies. Not sure why. I'm certainly not ashamed of it. It is, however, my refuge and my temple. A place that is indelibly stamped with the things that I like. When people do get a rare chance to peek inside the reaction is usually one of shocked awe. "Oh we knew you had a big collection but..."

The photos below may give you a little idea as to the nature of the "but...". As you can see four themes dominate my collection: Classic Space, Classic Town, Star Wars and (modern) City though I do occasionally dip into other themes if I like the models - hence the new Space Police models.

Feel free to browse and leave a comment - this blog is purely for my own amusement - but all are welcome to have a look around and offer an opinion. I am an active collector so please check out the advert on the right if you have any Lego (in good condition) for sale.

Click on an image to download a bigger version.

Behind the door - modular buildings and Tantive IV.


On the windowsill - some classic Town and City buildings plus one of my own creation.


In front of the window - a hodgepodge of models: lots of Star Wars, some Classic Town and Aqua Raiders.

Another shot of the modular buildings and a hint of my depth of feeling for Classic Space.


Star Wars and Classic Space - my hardy stand-bys.


Some of the bigger Star Wars models and the gorgeous Medieval village scene plus the Christmas Shop...

More Star Wars stuff: the fabulous Dropship - one of my favourites - has pride of place atop my computer.

A good array of some of the most aesthetically pleasing Star Wars models.


Oh I do like Classic Space!

I shall be focusing on specific models over the coming months but for now this is a mere glancing overview of part of my collection - a collection currently valued at just over £10,000. That's a lot of moolah - but it stops me drinking, gambling, drug taking and (sin of sins) getting into football! ;-)



4 comments:

  1. OMG
    What an amazing collection.
    Are these all models only? I used to have a somewhat large collection, but I built everything freestyle. I was really into creating towns and desperately wished for a good railway set to go with my Lego villages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. VioletSky: most of these are models that are and have been available in the shops though I do have a couple of bespoke "made-by-me" models which I may do a post on soon. I'd love to do more freestyle stuff but rarely get the time - instead I'm more of a dedicated collector and love rooting out rare sets and restoring damaged ones. As for railway sets, Lego now do some amazing trains - definitely worth a look-see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey the houses are cute! The only house collection comes from a store (not Lego) of different historical architectural house fronts in Holland (I'm from Holland).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeannette - I'd love to see pictures of that!

    ReplyDelete